When was the last time you cleaned your sump pump? Regular and timely cleaning helps in proper functioning of your sump pump. To keep your suction pump operating properly, you will have to clean on regular intervals like once a year or as per timeline mentioned in the manual. If you don’t feel comfortable and happy doing the cleaning of a sump pump by yourself, you can always take help from a company who has expertise in plumbing service. If you think you don’t have any contacts who are offering such service then you can also search online for “plumbing service near me” and find experienced and professional plumbing service companies in your local area that can do sump pump cleaning for you.
Even if you will not be doing it by yourself it is always better that you should be aware of the process of cleaning sump pumps.
Here It Is:
- The first and foremost step is to take all precautions while performing cleaning activity so always unplug your sump pump and turn off the electricity so that you can work safely without any risk. It is also recommended that you should switch off the circuit supplying the power to the pump.
- Ensure that no one in the house is doing any work in which the water or waste is draining into the sump pump. Turn off water at any place where the fixture directly drains into a sump pump like a washing machine or any other appliance where the outlet is directly connected to such drains. Avoid cleaning sump pumps on a rainy day.
- Gather all the tools and supplies which will be required for the process like plastic scraping tool, bucket (preferably large size), garden hose, plastic sheet, etc.
- Always wear gloves to protect yourself. You will always see local plumbing experts taking all precautions before starting any cleaning activity as somebody right said precaution is better than cure.
- Use a plastic sheet to wrap your pump and carry it outside. Plastic sheets will prevent the floor from getting messy from the dirt or sludge. Clean the pump thoroughly using plastic scrapers from the debris and dirt and sludge.
- After cleaning, rinse the pump with a hose. If you still see the debris then repeat the cleaning process. Once properly cleaned and rinsed, let it dry in an open and safe place.
- If there is any standing water then drain it from our sump pit.
- Carefully disassemble the check valve and drain the water into the bucket. Rinse the valve with water to make it clean. Reassemble the dry and clean check valve.
- Reattach the pump to discharge the pipe and check valve once it is properly dry after cleaning.
- Recheck everything before switching on the electricity.
During the process of cleaning, you should always look thoroughly for the possible damages. There may be any damaged or cracked component that needs repair or replacement for which you can take help of Plumbing Bellevue Hill experts.